Before sending your phone to a merchant, we would advise you to remove your cloud account from the Android device you’re selling. This is simply to allow the merchant to test your device’s performance and functionality, so you can get the most money for your phone.
Unfortunately, many customers ignore this advice and send their Android phones locked to cloud accounts which complicates the trade-in process. If a merchant isn’t able to carry out the relevant testing procedures, your device will be graded as no value. As a result, the entire trade-in experience will be disappointing. Removing cloud accounts before sending your phone away will help to ensure that the process is plain sailing.
The only thing we’d like to mention before we go ahead, is that you should remember to back up your data first if you want to be able to access it later on.
Don’t confuse account removal with deleting your account. When you remove your cloud account from a device, you simply exclude it from a list of devices that account can be accessed through. You can add your account to other devices or restore its content and still have access to it. Whereas deleting an account is different. It means it will be gone forever once you hit that delete button. Also, don’t forget to reset your device to factory settings and go through additional steps to further protect your privacy.
Without further ado, we have put a few steps together to guide you through the process of removing a cloud account from your Android phone. Navigate through the content menu below to jump to the guidelines that you need.
How to remove my Google account
How to remove my Samsung account
How to remove my Huawei account
How do I Remove My Google Account?
Most Android phones require you to have a Google cloud account in addition to the phone’s manufacturer’s independent account to use Google’s services like the Play Store, Gmail etc.
You can find your Google account under your phone’s settings and easily remove it by following these steps:
- Open your phone’s Settings menu.
- Scroll down until you see a tab titled Accounts (or Users and Accounts or Accounts and backup depends on the Android phone you have) and tap on it.
- From the selection of accounts logged in on your phone, find your Google account and tap on it.
- Under the email address your Google account has been created where you will find a Remove account button. Alternatively, this option can be located in the top right corner in a menu behind the three dots icon. Tap Remove account.
- You will then be asked to enter your Google account password or draw your lock pattern for security reasons. Once you have confirmed your password, you’re done and the account has been removed.
If you forgot your Google account password, follow the instructions here.
How do I Remove My Samsung Account?
It’s easy to remove a Samsung account on Samsung Galaxy S7, S8, S9 and S10. The process is similar for devices newer than Galaxy S5. All you need to do is to follow these steps:
- Go to your Settings menu and tap on Accounts and backup tab which is further down on the menu.
- Tap Accounts and you will be presented with a list of accounts your device is signed into.
- Tap on your Samsung account and look for Personal info or the three dots icon on the right side of the screen and then click on it.
- Tap on Remove account and get familiar with the information displayed, then tap on the Remove button on the bottom of the screen.
- Provide your Samsung account password for security reasons and tap OK.
If you forgot your Samsung account password, Samsung has clear instructions on what to do here.
How do I Remove My Huawei ID?
Huawei phone users can log out of their Huawei ID easily by following the steps below. However, in order to remove their cloud account from their device, a factory reset needs to be carried out as well.
- Go to Settings and tap on your Huawei ID profile on top of the screen.
- On the Account centre screen navigate to the bottom and tap Log out.
- Get familiar with the detailed information about the log out and tap Log out again.
- Enter your Huawei ID password to confirm the log out.
If you can’t remember your Huawei ID password, check this Huawei support page.